Author Topic: Our Political Aims  (Read 287 times)

June 16, 2017, 03:37:07 AM
Read 287 times

Steve Bottrell

• Information Offline
  • Canada Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,
My name is Steve Bottrell. I am planning on bringing the MFP to Canada and running in the 2019 federal elections. I know that the the MFP wants to begin the transition to a RBE but I haven't seen how this is being promoted to the public. Can anyone direct me to some information on previous election campaigns? I want to see how we are presenting MFP. I plan on documenting as much as I can during my campaign so that we may learn from missteps. Because I'm sure I'm going to make a few :) Has anyone who has run so far documented their campaign? Anyway, I am new to this, politics that is, so I don't know how a political party works internally.

June 16, 2017, 01:57:40 PM
Reply #1

Cathy Heyworth Harris

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve, great post.  And the most often-asked question in RBE.  And at this point, the one with not the clearest answer that I know of.  But, for one thing, we are transitioning to RBE naturally, already!  Free cycle, tiny libraries, guerilla gardens, etc. are some of the free sharing models which pop up right off the bat.  I know there are people much more well versed on this subject around, and I would suggest reaching out to a POC (Point of Contact) for The Venus Project in your area near you (ha ha).  But, I also think you have a great idea on documenting campaigns.  I need to make you a moderator for Canada (keep bugging me in pm please).  I plan to open up a Candidate Training Board and could open up a thread for documentation of running an RBE campaign.  Great, ORIGINAL idea and keep PMing me about it.  I am calling the senior privilege flag here for help as I am now, well, OLD ha ha!  Cathy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:04:55 PM by Cathy Heyworth Harris »

June 18, 2017, 11:42:24 AM
Reply #2

Nick Tapping

• Information Offline
  • UK Moderator
    • View Profile
HI Steve, Richard Osmaston in NZ has ran the most campaigns for the MFP so far.
I ran a small local campaign in the UK, but did not document it... Im trying to think what i learnt , if anything...
One of the things that helps is having a recognised logo on the ballot paper that people can recognise.
So make sure your campaign material has the logo.
Now when i ran i didnt get much votes because everybody went out to vote the Tories in and to keep UKIP out. Thats often the problem with elections, the electorate are too preoccupied with main stream politics to take notice of the smaller parties.
I did how ever get a fair bit of feedback from my campaign with people telling me how much they enjoyed my campaign material, as opposed to the usual political parties material... Not sure if making people laugh helps us getting more votes.
But i will stand again.... remember a political party represents the political ambitions of its supporters... at the moment there is not a lot of support for a RBE, so do not get your hopes up... this is a long term project.

June 19, 2017, 07:26:59 PM
Reply #3

Steve Bottrell

• Information Offline
  • Canada Moderator
    • View Profile
Hey Nick, I plan to focus on the transitional aspects while keeping the goal in mind. I plan on talking about UBI, as it is the hot topic in Canada right now, as the method of reaching a money free system. I plan on talking about the monetary system as the means of tracking productivity and consumption, which in my opinion is pretty lousy at it, in opposition to utilizing technology to directly track this data, without money. On how we could reorganize how we work. Things like that. I think we would have a hard time convincing people to just drop the monetary system in one fell swoop. So I want to highlight possible paths to a RBE, rather than focusing on the end result. This is why I had hoped someone had documented their campaign so that I could see how they are presenting this.
UBI is being discussed here by the provincial governments, not the federal government at this time, but all the experiments have a very low thresh hold on the amount of money each person would receive. It's not enough to allow people to refuse work, and would basically just replace the current safety nets. For UBI to be of any meaning, it has to be enough to allow work refusal. And once it is at that point, just eliminating it altogether is a small step.
Like you said, this is about the future. And short of a world wide calamity, which is no guarantee, we have to take smaller steps to reach our goal. A lot of people agree with me on the concept of RBE, but can't see how we could get there. I plan on presenting that path. If you are in agreement, we need to work on that path.

June 19, 2017, 10:11:05 PM
Reply #4

Nick Tapping

• Information Offline
  • UK Moderator
    • View Profile
Richard in NZ talks of transition too, but not one that includes a UBI, but more of a tracking system. He is being quite successful You should talk to him about it.
About UBI and what you should know about it.
The idea of a social wage [UBI as you call it] has been around for eons, its not a new idea or a new tool.
So first of all one should separate the tool from the campaign.
The campaign called UBI has nothing to do with the transition to a RBE. The UBI campaign is in reaction to technological unemployment and a means of making capitalism workable with mass unemployment.
It [the UBI campaign] promotes and reproduces the myth that we can solve our problems with money. [do you wish to help reproduce that myth?]
UBI will not solve anything, it will only allow more inequality and deeper wealth disparity.
How ever as a tool , a social wage could be used as part of a transition package to a RBE, though there are many other ways we could transition
https://www.facebook.com/Methods-of-Transition-to-a-Resource-Based-Economy-119320392078740 i
I would like to point out
We are an evidence based movement, and all previous, deliberate, radical changes in our social/economic systems, have come about without a transitional phase. This includes the ending of slavery, the women's vote, the ending of apartheid, the american civil rights movement, the ending of the Tsars in Russia and the start of communism, The fall of the Kuomintang in China and the start of Maoist communism. and of course the ending of communism... all these changes came without a transitional period.
The usual course on this planet for social/economic change is that a small group starts to challenge the social economic norms of the majority, and presents a new vision, then through various methods [ which include public speaking, acts of civil disobedience and protest] create enough support for that vision and then uses or create a political method to manifest that new vision

June 20, 2017, 08:08:15 AM
Reply #5

Steve Bottrell

• Information Offline
  • Canada Moderator
    • View Profile
I agree with you on the flaws of UBI. If left to the establishment it will be UBS (Universal Basic Serfdom). They mean to use it to prop up a failing economic system. I mean it could be used as a tool to move to RBE, to ease suffering during transition. It wouldn't be around for long. I know its nothing new. Its a popular notion these days in Canada, a lot of people are talking about it. I thought it might be a good way to get people to think beyond it. I've had my comments removed from the HuffPost for talking about it in these terms and pointing out the flaws in their experiments.  :-\ Anyway, we can kick that can around for a while yet. I am open to differing thought on the matter. I'll get a hold of Richard soon and see what he thinks.
I'm going to have to look into it, give it some thought, but I think all those periods of time had a transitional phase. They may have been short, but I don't see how you could move from one thing to another without it.

June 20, 2017, 07:22:58 PM
Reply #6

Nick Tapping

• Information Offline
  • UK Moderator
    • View Profile
Peoples will, and without that will nothing will change.